Rationalist Dabholkar murder: CBI seeks Sanatan Sanshtha lawyer Sanjeev Punalekar’s custody again

first_imgThe CBI on Wednesday opposed the bail plea of advocate Sanjeev Punalekar, counsel for the fringe right-wing outfit Sanatan Sanshtha, and again sought his custody in connection with the murder of eminent rationalist Dr. Narendra Dabholkar.The CBI, through Special Public Prosecutor Prakash Suryavanshi, sought his custody on the grounds that it needed to interrogate Mr. Punalekar regarding documents and other materials seized from the him during his arrest on May 26.A special court on June 4 remanded Mr. Punalekar, and his aide, Sanatan Sanstha member Vikram Bhave, in judicial custody after two spells in the CBI’s custody.At the time, the court denied the CBI’s plea seeking a further extension of the custody of the accused, observing that the investigating agency had not made any fresh progress in the investigation when the accused was in its custody.Mr. Punalekar and Mr. Bhave have been alleged to have participated in the conspiracy to murder Dr. Dabholkar, especially in destruction of evidence and in aiding and abetting Sachin Andure and Sharad Kalaskar, named by the investigating agencies as the assailants of the late rationalist.Advocate Virendra Ichalkaranjikar, Mr. Punalekar’s defence counsel, said the CBI plea seeking Mr. Punalekar’s custody for a second time was nothing but “a delaying tactic”.Mr. Ichalkaranjikar said, “Despite having custody of advocate Punalekar for 10 days, the CBI failed to uncover anything to further their probe. It is inconceivable why the agency needs his custody now as they could easily have questioned Mr. Punalekar about the material seized from the electronic gadgets had there been something incriminating in them.” The hearing will continue on Thursday.Earlier this week, the CBI’s counsel, in his arguments, vehemently opposed Mr. Punalekar’s bail plea on the grounds that he would “tamper with the evidence” if released. The prosecutor, advocate Suryavanshi, had submitted that Mr. Punalekar had exceeded all limits in advising Sharad Kalaskar to destroy the firearms allegedly used to murder Dr. Dabholkar and journalist Gauri Lankesh.Likewise, he argued that the CBI needed more time to probe how Mr. Bhave conducted the reconnaissance before Dr. Dabholkar’s murder and interrogate him to uncover details of the getaway motorbike used by the two shooters.In September last, seeking an extension of Kalaskar’s custody, the CBI told the court that in July 2018, the accused had allegedly dismantled four country-made pistols and thrown them in the creeks of Greater Mumbai and Thane, while suggesting that one of them could be the weapon used to kill Dr. Dabholkar.In his statement to the CBI last year, Kalaskar allegedly said that Mr. Punalekar, known for his defamatory statements against Dr. Dabholkar, had asked him to destroy the weapons.According to the CBI, Kalaskar further revealed that it was the Thane-based Mr. Bhave who had allegedly planned the reconnaissance, pointed Dr. Dabholkar to the assailants and even planned the getaway route for the shooters.last_img read more

Read More →

La Salle, FEU strong picks

first_imgNATO’s aging eye in the sky to get a last overhaul Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong protesters So beats Colombian; Sadorra loses Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo MOST READ Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games “Our team caught a lot of people by surprise,” said Sandy Arespacochaga, deputy of Ateneo coach Tab Baldwin. “We did well so it’s also a challenge for us to be consistent.”For University of the Philippines coach Bo Perasol, the challenge is dealing with the absence of key recruits Ibrahim Quattara and Rob Ricafort, who were declared ineligible Monday, just hours before the league’s press conference at Mall of Asia Arena.“We don’t know yet how our team will look like,” said Perasol, noting UP will appeal the league’s decision that his players need to serve one more year of residency.The season kicks off with University of the East and National U battling at 2 p.m. this Saturday at MoA Arena, followed by the 4 p.m. clash between Ateneo and Adamson.ADVERTISEMENT Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ “It’s a big test playing without Ben,” Ayo said of his Cameroonian center, who may miss two games as he plays for his national team in the 2017 Fiba Afrobasket. “But we don’t rely on one player only, we rely on our system.”Ayo, as well as new FEU coach Olsen Racela, said their teams had moved on from last week’s invitational game that resulted in an ugly free-for-all in Davao City. It’s the second straight year the two schools figured in a preseason altercation.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games opening“What I always preach and tell my players in basketball or in life is not to dwell on the past—move forward, be mindful of the present,” said Racela.All’s well between coaches Aldin Ayo of La Salle (left) and Olsen Racela of Far Eastern U after a recent offseason brawl among their players in Davao City. —Sherwin VardeleonThe Archers and the Tamaraws stand as favorites this season along with the Ateneo Blue Eagles, who reached the finals last year despite the graduation of several veterans. Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim A preseason brawl between La Salle and Far Eastern University may have fanned the animosity between the two powerhouse squads, but Green Archers coach Aldin Ayo would rather have his players deal with the absence of their main man.Ben Mbala, last season’s Most Valuable Player, won’t see action with the defending champion Archers when Season 80 of the UAAP men’s basketball tournament fires off this weekend.ADVERTISEMENT La Salle, FEU put ugly offseason brawl behind: ‘Let’s forget what happened’1.7K viewsSportsVentuno Web Player 4.51 LATEST STORIES Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side View commentslast_img read more

Read More →