JUDGE AGAIN ORDERS PSYCHIATRIC ASSESSMENT ON MAN ACCUSED OF MURDERING PARENTS

first_imgA Judge has again ordered a psychiatric assessment on a Co Donegal man charged with the murders of his parents.Julian Cuddihy arrives in court in Letterkenny this morning. Pic by Northwest News Pix.Carndonagh man Julian Cuddihy, 42, appeared at a special sitting of Letterkenny District Court this morning. He had been remanded in custody to Castlerea Prison after appearing at Ballyshannon District Court last Friday night last.At that sitting Judge Kevin Kilrane asked to have the accused psychologically assessed as soon as was practicably possible.However when he appeared this morning, his solicitor Ray Lannon said this had not taken place yet.Judge Paul Kelly asked what the reason for the delay was.He was told by Mr Lannon that Castlerea Prison does not have the facility to have a psychiatric assessment.Garda Inspector Goretti Sheridan said a Dr Kennedy from the Central Mental Hospital had contacted Castlerea Prison describing it as “a work in progress.”Judge Paul Kelly then ordered Mr Cuddihy to be remanded in custody to appear at Harristown Court on Friday week, November 7th.Cuddihy waved and greeted relatives when he arrived in the court but did not speak during the brief hearing.He is charged with two counts of murder at Churchtown, Carndonagh in or around Octber 22nd.It follows an incident in which both his parents, Jimmy, 77, and Kathleen, 73, were found dead at their home on Thursday morning last.Hundrds of people turned up for the popular couple’s funerals in Carndonagh yesterday.Among the items found as part of the Garda investigation was an axe.JUDGE AGAIN ORDERS PSYCHIATRIC ASSESSMENT ON MAN ACCUSED OF MURDERING PARENTS was last modified: October 29th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:courtJUDGEJulian Cuddihymurderlast_img read more

Read More →

New Orleans rail service resumes on Amtrak route

first_img Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari said he expected more than 30 passengers to arrive today and that “the business will grow steadily but slowly over the next several weeks.” Greater numbers of passengers are expected next year, after tracks to the east are repaired. Service to the west should resume before that, he said. “This helps return the area to some normalcy,” Magliari said. “We’re far from normal here right now. But each step toward normalcy is important.” Jimmy Elliott, 63, leaned on his cane as he was helped off the train. He was returning from Chicago for the first time since evacuating on Aug. 28. “There’s no place like home,” he said. Elliott said he was told his home in the Algiers neighborhood on the city’s West Bank did not sustain much damage, but he still gazed through the train window as it arrived. “I was trying to see what I was coming home to,” he said. Michael Anderson, 21, a senior airman in the Air Force, was visiting from Minot Air Force Base in North Dakota, after returning from a four-month tour in Iraq. He first tried to get a flight, but an early winter storm that dumped heavy snow across the northern Plains canceled those plans, forcing him to get on a train to Chicago to catch the City of New Orleans. Waiting for him were his 15-year-old brother, 12-year-old sister and mother, Paulette Anderson, who cried as they embraced. “I’m so happy he’s home,” she said. “It’s a good day.” Another train, the Crescent from New York, was expected to arrive later Saturday. It will also be the first train to depart New Orleans today en route to Meridian, Miss., Birmingham, Ala., Atlanta and other stops on the way back to New York. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! NEW ORLEANS – Amtrak resumed passenger rail service to New Orleans on Saturday, bringing mass ground transportation back to the city for the first time since Hurricane Katrina. The train called the City of New Orleans arrived with 29 passengers aboard, greeted by a handful of well-wishers, after leaving Chicago late Thursday. As he stepped off the train, Marty Robinson, of Paducah, Ky., sank to his knees, sang a song and proposed to his girlfriend as she greeted him. She accepted. “I’m nervous. I’m shaking,” said Lorraine Talbot of Houma, La., who embraced the man who sang songs to her by phone in the weeks since the storm. last_img read more

Read More →