Journalist serving six-year sentence released by presidential directive

first_img YemenMiddle East – North Africa February 26, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Yemen Organisation RSF_en YemenMiddle East – North Africa News News February 11, 2021 Find out more September 25, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Journalist serving six-year sentence released by presidential directive Receive email alertscenter_img News News to go further Yemeni journalist killed, nine wounded in Aden airport explosions Reporters Without Borders hails today’s release of journalist Abdulkarim Al-Khaiwani as a result of President Ali Abdallah Saleh’s intervention. Khaiwani, who was serving a six-year sentence on a charge of collaborating with rebels in the north of the country, had to sign an undertaking to abide by law in order to be freed.“We are delighted by the news of Khaiwani’s release but we fear that the written undertaking he had to give to the prosecutor’s office could hang over him like a permanent threat and jeopardise his journalistic independence,” Reporters Without Borders said.Justice minister Ghazi Chaif Al-Agbari told the government news agency SABA that a court approved a presidential directive suspending Khaiwani’s prison sentence after he undertook to “respect the constitution and the laws in force.”A former editor of the newspaper Al-Shoura and a contributor to several independent news media, Khaiwani was sentenced by a Sanaa state security court on 9 June to six years in prison for allegedly passing information to Shiite rebels in northern Yemen. Despite having health problems, he was jailed as soon as the court issued its sentence.He was previously sentenced to a year in prison on similar charges in March 2005 but was given a presidential pardon the day after his conviction. He was arrested in June 2007 and was held for a month before being released provisionally on health grounds. United Nations: press freedom situation “deeply worrying” in Yemen, according to RSF Fixer for foreign reporters held in Aden for past five months Help by sharing this information January 6, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Read More →

Bucks co-owner Marc Lasry handed fine for tampering

first_imgBucks co-owner Marc Lasry was fined $25,000 for comments about sought-out Pelicans star Anthony Davis.Lasry violated the NBA’s league tampering rules, which prohibit team representatives from making remarks concerning other teams’ players, according to a report from ESPN, which cited an unidentified league source with knowledge of the situation. NBA wrap: Wizards blown out by Bucks on eve of trade deadline Bucks co-owner Marc Lasry has been fined 25K for his comments about Anthony Davis, league sources tell ESPN. The comments violated league tampering rules.— Malika Andrews (@malika_andrews) February 11, 2019Davis has requested to be traded from the Pelicans and the six-time All-Star had his sights set on Milwaukee, among other teams. “I saw that report, and I think it’s great,” Lasry told Sporting News. “It’s a little bit of what we want. We want players to come and play in Milwaukee. And part of it is, when you’re winning and you’re setting a standard for excellence, people see that. People want to win. It doesn’t make a difference if you’re in Milwaukee, New York or L.A. The whole goal is winning. So we hope it would be players like Anthony Davis and others who want to come to Milwaukee.” Related Newscenter_img NBA trade deadline update: Anthony Davis intends to test free agency in 2020, report says However, Davis remained in New Orleans through the Feb. 7 trade deadline. Still, Milwaukee will likely shop the 2017 NBA All-Star Game MVP this offseason.last_img read more

Read More →