Windies in good position – Holder

first_imgSHARJAH, UAE, (CMC):West Indies captain Jason Holder says he believes an impressive late afternoon session yesterday against Pakistan, has put his side in a “good position” to press for its first win in 14 Test matches.Four wickets fell for eleven runs in a dramatic post tea session, as Pakistan stumbled to 87 for four in their second innings on the third day of their third and final Test at the Sharjah Cricket Stadium.West Indies are trailing by 31 runs after scoring 331 in their first innings in reply to Pakistan first innings score of 281.”We knew there’s just limited time in the last session, so we wanted to just give it our all,” Holder told Ten Sports.”Fortunately for me, I was able to get some balls to lift off a good length, which took the edge or the gloves. Fortunately, we had some luck in this session. I think we put ourselves in a good position because of this session.”Three of the four wickets to have fallen are as a result of a hostile spell of fast bowling from Holder, who has captured three wickets for ten runs from nine overs including four maidens.Pakistan were at one stage reeling on 43 for one and the West Indies captain says his three-wicket haul was motivated by the patient unbeaten century from opener Kraigg Brathwaite, who anchored the Windies first innings.Brathwaite accumulated 142 off 318 balls with eleven boundaries and carried his bat through the innings to hand his side a 56-run first innings lead.”He showed great character, great composure, great faith. It was very inspirational for me and gave me the energy to go and do what we did in the end,” said Holder.ELUSIVE WIN”I have played a lot of cricket with Brathwaite – Under-13, 15, 17 and 19, and now senior cricket. He has scored a lot of runs in junior cricket.”West Indies are aiming to press their advantage on the fourth day as they hunt an elusive win on a wretched tour in which they have lost all of their matches in back-to back T20, ODI and Test series losses against Pakistan.The West Indies skipper believes leg spinner Devendra Bishoo will have a major role to play.”As the pitch wears out, Bishoo will come into the picture. He has a big job to do for us tomorrow. The plan is to just keep rotating bowlers,” said Holder.”It’s important to keep them under pressure in the first hour. We just have to continue to maintain the intensity. We all have to really toil for the wickets. We are very happy with the situation but we need to start well tomorrow.”last_img read more

Read More →

GBA To Go!

first_imgTry out this app for mobile phones. I built it at widgetbox.com using the free site. It will be available for the next couple of weeks at which point, it will either go away or I’ll pony up the cash to buy a subscription.Bookmark this link on your iPhone or Android phone and you’re mobile:http://wbxapp.com/gba-blog-feed if (WIDGETBOX) WIDGETBOX.renderWidget(‘3446104f-73c4-4e47-b2b4-dcc1169d8617’); Get the Mobile App Badge widget and many other great free widgets at Widgetbox! Not seeing a widget? (More info)Let us know if you use it, if you would continue to use it, and how it works.Thanks,Danlast_img

Read More →

Bucks re-sign 40-year-old guard Jason Terry

first_imgEthel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES ‘A complete lie:’ Drilon refutes ‘blabbermouth’ Salo’s claims No more menthol cigarettes: New ban on tobacco, vape flavors APMILWAUKEE — The Milwaukee Bucks have re-signed Jason Terry after the veteran guard shot 42.7 percent from 3-point range last season.The Bucks announced the contract Monday night. There was no word on the length or value of the deal.ADVERTISEMENT Winter storm threatens to scramble Thanksgiving travel plans The 40-year-old Terry is beginning his 19th season in the NBA. He appeared in 74 games with the Bucks last year and averaged 4.1 points in 18.4 minutes per game. He also made 73 3-pointers in 171 attempts from beyond the arc.The 6-foot-2 Terry, who was selected by Atlanta with the 10th overall pick in the 1999 draft, has career averages of 13.8 points and 3.9 assists in 1,359 games.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games opening Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Argentine bishop appears at court hearing on abuse charges Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim Trump to designate Mexican drug cartels as terrorist groups PBA teams not obliged to lend players to PH squad for Champs Cup, says Reyes MOST READ Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next View commentslast_img read more

Read More →

10 months agoNorway PM Erna Solberg: I’m no Man Utd insider

first_imgNorway PM Erna Solberg: I’m no Man Utd insiderby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveNorway PM Erna Solberg admits she was wrong to declare Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s appointment as Manchester United manager before the club had announced it.The appointment was officially announced by United on Wednesday morning – several hours before Solberg’s socia media post.Speaking Thursday at her twice-a-year news conference, Solberg said she had no inside information on Solskjaer’s appointment, adding: “I was seen as an oracle of truth. “I deleted the tweet as I felt I wasn’t the authority to confirm it.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img

Read More →

Fans Poking Fun At Wildcats Recruit Isaiah Briscoe After He Accidentally Suggests Derrick Rose Went To Kentucky

first_imgJohn Calipari, to his credit, has had a great deal of success putting his college players in the NBA. While most of Cal’s representatives in the league hail from Kentucky, there are a still a few – like Tyreke Evans and Derrick Rose – leftover from his Memphis days.Wednesday night, during the McDonald’s All American Game, top UK recruit Isaiah Briscoe was asked by ESPN’s Jay Williams why he chose to play for Coach Cal. Briscoe’s response involved him listing off the names of numerous NBA stars coached by Calipari. And while he was probably just mixing up his words, he did suggest that Rose had played for Kentucky.Fans on social media, predictably, have been having a field day with the quote, perhaps unfairly. Kentucky Commit, Isaiah Briscoe: “I chose Kentucky because of UK greats like Derrick Rose”— The Golden Jew (@GoldenJew) April 2, 2015Isaiah Briscoe: Derrick Rose went to that other school called Kentucky which is actually called Memphis— Connor Gross (@Cgross920) April 2, 2015Isaiah Briscoe realizes Rose & Evans played for Cal at Memphis right? #McDonaldsAllAmericanGame— Jacob McCallister (@RockChalkJacob) April 2, 2015“@GoldenJew: Kentucky Commit, Isaiah Briscoe: “I chose Kentucky because of UK greats like Derrick Rose”” pic.twitter.com/UQZQ12VGHb— Christopher Burr (@HeisenBURRRg) April 2, 2015“@GoldenJew: Kentucky Commit, Isaiah Briscoe: “I chose Kentucky because of UK greats like Derrick Rose”” pic.twitter.com/mI1tN9g9mc— Keep It Real 2015 (@A2K4Life) April 2, 2015Kentucky Commit, Isaiah Briscoe: “I chose Kentucky because of UK greats like Derrick Rose” pic.twitter.com/rSMkVTx4UK— Keyser Söze (@WhoButMe_) April 2, [email protected]: Kentucky Commit, Isaiah Briscoe: “I chose Kentucky because of UK greats like Derrick Rose” pic.twitter.com/nCiItEK0Wx— Bryan Evans (@BryGuy2103) April 2, 2015Briscoe is clearly aware that Calipari coached at Memphis, so perhaps he just got nervous live on television. Either way, he’s taking a beating on social media.last_img read more

Read More →

We were lucky massive cyberextortion attack could have affected Canada

first_imgCanada is not immune to online extortion, despite apparently sidestepping a massive attack that temporarily crippled networks around the world, a cybersecurity expert said.Atty Mashatan, a professor at Ryerson University’s School of Information Technology Management, said it was nothing more than a fluke that Canada appears to have been spared from Friday’s ransomware attack that disrupted services in Russia, the U.S., Ukraine, Spain and India.Attacks like this one, dubbed “WannaCry” for the “WannaCrypt” technology used to execute it, happen when a type of software seizes control of a computer, encrypting its contents and rendering them inaccessible.“The vehicle that the malware [is using to go] from one device to the other is spam. The most common way that they do that is via a link in an email,” Mashatan said. “It looks as if it’s from someone you know, in your contacts. You click on it, and bingo. The actual malware, the file, is downloaded.”The perpetrators then demand hundreds or thousands of dollars to unlock the victims’ computers — essentially holding the documents, photos and other items on the computer for ransom.“This one wasn’t really a targeted attack at all,” Mashatan said. “They usually run this campaign and hope to infect as many devices as they can.”“This time around we were lucky,” she said. “There’s so many people who are emailing one another within the U.K., whereas the traffic between the U.K. and Canada is not as much.”But if the wrong person had clicked on an infected link, they could have spread the ransomware to Canada.Related stories:Huge cyberattack forces Microsoft to offer free tech fixLakeridge Health reports tech problems amid global cyberattackComputer users worldwide — and everyone else who depends on them — should assume that the next big “ransomware” attack has already been launched, and just hasn’t manifested itself yet, Ori Eisen, who founded the Trusona cybersecurity firm, told The Associated Press.The attack appears to be “low-level” stuff, given the amounts of ransom demanded, Eisen said Saturday.He said the same thing could be done to crucial infrastructure, like nuclear power plants, dams or railway systems.A representative from Public Safety Canada said the Canadian Cyber Incident Response Centre is aware of the reported attacks, but made no mention on whether any Canadian users were affected.In the meantime, Mashatan said it’s important for everyday people to remain vigilant to prevent these attacks from spreading.She said people should keep their computers’ operating systems up-to-date, because the latest updates often patch up security holes. People should also avoid clicking on suspicious links.With files from The Associated Presslast_img read more

Read More →

RCMP say suspect in Ahtahkakoop fatal shooting has died

first_imgAPTN National NewsRCMP say the suspect in a fatal shooting Tuesday morning in the Ahtahkakoop Cree Nation has also died.The 59-year-old man was found at approximately 5 p.m. in the community by RCMP. Police said a firearm went off after officers found the suspect and he was later pronounced dead in hospital. The RCMP said their officers never fired a shot.The small community, about 150 km north of Saskatoon, was rocked by a shooting hours earlier when a 56-year-old man was shot to death. Police have not identified either of the men.But according to resident Kim Sasakamoose, the shooting happened around 10 a.m. and the alleged shooter is her cousin, Elgin “Chucky” Sasakamoose.Chucky Sasakamoose. (Facebook photo)“They tried to bring him back to life,” said Kim Sasakamoose of the victim, who she identified as “Wayne” and being new to the community. The shooting happened near the health centre.A family friend identified the victim as Wayne Teed.Wayne Teed. (Facebook photo)Kim Sasakamoose said she heard the shooting was over a woman. “He took off on his quad,” said Kim Sasakamoose of her cousin. Police had told residents to stay in their homes throughout the day as they searched the area.Officers from several RCMP detachments were on the scene, including the canine and major crimes units. Police said they don’t believe there are any other victims or suspects. They have called in Saskatoon police to conduct what the RCMP said will be an independent investigation into what happened when the suspect died.RCMP at the scene of the shooting Tuesday in Ahtahkakoop. (Facebook photo)Chucky Sasakamoose was the son of Fred Sasakamoose, the first Aboriginal hockey player in National Hockey League when he played for the Chicago Blackhawks in 1953, according a family member.last_img read more

Read More →

Buckeye field hockey notches No 2 seed in upcoming Big Ten Tournament

The Ohio State field hockey team defeated Northwestern Saturday for the 22nd consecutive time. The win secured the No. 2 seed for the Buckeyes in the Big Ten Tournament, which starts Thursday.The tournament will be played in East Lansing, Mich., on Michigan State’s campus.The Buckeyes will face the No. 7 seed Penn State in their first round game. Penn State defeated the Buckeyes 2-1 in overtime at State College, Pa., in the teams’ only meeting this season.“Of course it was a big loss and setback,” said senior goalkeeper Lindsay Quintiliani, who was named co-Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week. “But we’ve bounced back since.”The Buckeyes are 6-1 since their loss to Penn State and are ranked No. 13 in the NFHCA Division I Top 20.The Nittany Lions have headed in the other direction. After defeating OSU, Penn State went 3-4 in its final seven games, failing to win another conference game and finishing in last place in the Big Ten at 1-5.If the Buckeyes win their first-round meeting with Penn State, they will move onto the semifinal round, played on Friday. There, the Buckeyes would face the winner of Indiana and Northwestern. The win over Indiana came in the Big Ten opener on Sept. 27. The Buckeyes finished the season with a win over Northwestern Saturday. Both victories came while their opponents were ranked in the top 20. If the Buckeyes get through the first two rounds, they will play in the tournament championship at noon Sunday. All signs point to Michigan State as the would-be opponent in the championship game.The Spartans have been dominant in conference play this season, going 6-0. Owning the top seed in the tournament, the Spartans receive a first-round bye and need only one win to reach the championship game. The Spartans are also playing on their home field and will be facing the winner of Iowa and Michigan, both of which they’ve defeated this season.The winner of the conference tournament receives an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament, which begins Nov. 14. If the Buckeyes fail to win the Big Ten tournament they will be looking for an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament. read more

Read More →

Simeone A muchneeded win

first_imgAtletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone has hailed his side for a “much-needed” win after a late Kevin Gamiero goal sealed the three points for the side, ahead of their return leg against Arsenal in the Europa LeagueLos Rojiblancos rested most of its regular starters on Sunday against 13th-place Alaves with the likes of the departing Fernando Torres being given a rare start.The former Liverpool and Chelsea forward had his penalty kick saved by Alaves goalkeeper Axel Werner, before Gamiero scored on the 78th minute of the match to maintain their lead over local rivals Real Madrid in the battle for the runners-up spot in La Liga.Forward Angel Correa was sent off with a second yellow card in the final moments of the league encounter“We faced a very tough rival that works very hard and is difficult to beat in their stadium,” Simeone told the club website.“We got a much-needed win here [in Vitoria]”.Sergio Ramos, Real MadridZidane reveals Sergio Ramos injury concern for Real Madrid Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Zinedine Zidane has put Sergio Ramos’ availability for Real Madrid’s trip to Sevilla next weekend in doubt after withdrawing him against Levante.The Argentine coach admitted that their opponents had forced a change in tactics for Atletico.“We changed our system and felt better [on the pitch],” added Simeone.“In the second half, our style of play was much clearer and we had many chances.”The Atletico head coach is ready for Thursday’s return leg against Arsenal in the Europa League.“We’re going to prepare for the match in the best manner,” said the 47-year-old.“Now, we’re going to rest and be united for Thursday’s match.”last_img read more

Read More →