Family and friends rally in support of jailed farmer

first_imgNewsLocal NewsFamily and friends rally in support of jailed farmerBy admin – November 16, 2011 471 MEMBERS of the family and friends of the jailed farmer Daniel Doherty took their protest to the gates of Limerick Prison last Saturday when they called for the release of the 40-year-old Templeglantine man, who remains in prison for failing to uphold an order of the court. Daniel Doherty is in prison for refusing to purge his contempt of court and obey a court order where he is to vacate the farmland of two brothers, that he worked for, who died a number of years ago without leaving a will.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Following a protracted series of sittings at Limerick Circuit Court, Doherty said he would not “go against the wishes of Matt and Eddie” who were two bachelor farmers that he helped on their farm.Doherty has remained in prison since July when he was first asked to purge his contempt and uphold the vacation order.On each occasion that he has appeared in front of a judge sitting at the Circuit Court, Doherty has vowed to stay on the land and not leave.The matter began in March 2010, when appeals of the original order failed and Doherty was forced and ordered to vacate the Roche family land.A protest calling for his release was held last Saturday where supporters stayed at the gates for a number of hours drumming up support from the passing motorists and pedestrians.His supporters said that all Danny did “was help his neighbours,” and that he should not be in jail for that.However, as Daniel Doherty now enters his fourth month in prison, he still refuses to obey the order and purge his contempt. Linkedin Print WhatsApp Advertisementcenter_img Previous articleStrand Hotel Shortlisted for – 2011 eircom golden spider awardNext article‘It’s a bit rich from Willie O’Dea’ – Jan O’Sullivan admin Email Twitter Facebooklast_img read more

Read More →

Florida Unemployment Claims Begin to Increase After Weeks of Decline

first_imgFlorida saw a slight increase in first-time jobless claims last week, as the U.S. Department of Labor on Thursday reported 1.48 million initial unemployment claims were filed nationwide.Our state had an estimated 93,394 claims during the week that ended June 20. That was up from 88,148 the previous week, as the second phase of Gov. Ron DeSantis’ reopening effort slows down amid an increase in coronavirus cases.The state Department of Economic Opportunity announced last Friday that the state’s May unemployment rate was 14.5 percent, which represents 1.412 million Floridians out of work from a labor force of almost 9.71 million. A June rate will be announced July 17.Florida’s 93,394 claims are behind only the 287,354 posted in California and the 124,283 in Georgia.Meanwhile, New York had 90,186 claims, while Texas recorded 89,241. The numbers for Georgia, New York and Texas were all lower than in the previous week.The unemployment increase in Florida followed two weeks of declining first-time claims. Since March 15, when the coronavirus pandemic began affecting the state, more than 2.64 million jobless applications have been filed, according to the Department of Economic Opportunity.See today’s press release for the latest numbers on #ReemploymentAssistance & information regarding benefits available through the CARES Act: https://t.co/DgVrLuouBQ pic.twitter.com/THl6fTTftu— Florida DEO (@FLDEO) June 24, 2020 The Department of Economic Opportunity had paid out $7.29 billion in Florida and federal benefits, of which $1.8 billion was state money.DeSantis has indicated he plans to continue moving forward with reopening efforts. Rather than implementing a statewide mask requirement, he asked younger Floridians this week “to do your part” by following health recommendations regarding social distancing, hand cleaning and mask wearing.However, the governor added that he also understood the desire of younger Floridians to go out after being at home for weeks.“People naturally want to do things,” DeSantis said. “If I was 25, I’d be probably with them. I mean that’s just realistic. I can sit here and try to act like I wouldn’t, but I remember what it was like then.”He has also pushed for the resumption of professional sports in Florida.last_img read more

Read More →

Cold cash raised for athletes

first_img“It’s not over till it’s over,” Latner said before the last dip, squeezing water out of his stocking cap. The event raised an estimated $50,000 or more, said organizer Chris Clark, director of Special Olympics Santa Clarita Valley. Each of the swimmers who took the main dip at 1 p.m. donated at least $50. The 18 swimmers in the “Super Plunge” crew collectively raised more than $25,000. Proceeds from the event, which the Sheriff’s Department helped organize, will help the Special Olympics serve more than 500 Santa Clarita Valley athletes in its program. Colbert Williams, 34, of Saugus is one of those athletes who also took part in the 24-hour “Super Plunge.” With the Special Olympics, he gets to play basketball, speed skating, softball and his favorite – floor hockey. Williams recently got a job at a supermarket but said that without the Special Olympics his life would be lacking. “I’d be like sitting at home and not doing all these sports.” [email protected] (661) 257-5253 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! That’s about 10 degrees cooler than the top summer temperatures in the surf at Santa Monica Bay, according to data from the National Oceanographic Data Center. More than 200 participants – some wearing costume wigs, tiaras and banners – jumped in the water as friends and family cheered. The party atmosphere of the event extended into the lake during the short plunge. A couple of swimmers tossed a football, while half-a-dozen sheriff’s deputies who jumped in wearing their uniform tops posed for pictures with young women wearing tiaras. Eighteen participants who each raised at least $1,000 plunged into the water once an hour for 24 hours, relaxing in a heated tent between icy middle-of-the-night dips. Auditor Marc Latner, 50, was one of those hardy participants. He and others on the “Super Plunge” crew took their 24th dip in the lake Saturday and added a bonus dip when they went in again with everyone else. CASTAIC – They ran down the AstroTurf carpet and yelled in excitement as they waded into the frigid water, but the winter bathing party lasted just a few moments before they waded back out. And just like that, the much-anticipated “polar plunge” Saturday at Castaic Lake was over, with thousands of dollars raised for the Special Olympics. “It’s so hot outside that it makes the water seem a lot colder than it is,” said participant Tony Buttitta, 38. Organizers of the second annual “Freezin’ for a Reason!” polar plunge said the lake water temperature was in the high 50s Saturday. last_img read more

Read More →