Ferdinand seals QPR move

first_img “I spoke to Harry and (owner Tony) Mr Fernandes at length,” he told qpr.co.uk. “I think they both looked me in the eye and knew that I still have something to offer – that I had a genuine desire to come here and play football.” Following punditry work with BBC Sport at the World Cup, Ferdinand’s anticipated move to Loftus Road was completed on Thursday evening after he passed a medical. Ferdinand, whose younger brother Anton and cousin Les also had spells at QPR, had been linked with a move to west London some weeks ago before a hold-up believed to be caused by a wrangling over wages. But now that has been ironed out Ferdinand is looking forward to playing for a team he used to watch growing up. “There are great memories for me here – for my family,” he said. “Anton had nothing but good things to say about QPR and I watched Les here as a boy, with the likes of Ray Wilkins, Clive Wilson, David Bardsley and Alan McDonald. “I had a lot of offers from all over the world – some in places with a better climate than here. But the draw for me was to play in the Premier League and back here where it all started. The 35-year-old left Old Trafford at the end of his contract this summer following a trophy-laden 12 years with the Red Devils and will now remain in the Barclays Premier League as he looks to help keep the Hoops in the top flight. Ferdinand will also be reunited with Harry Redknapp at Loftus Road after the current QPR boss handed him his professional debut for West Ham as a 17-year-old in 1996, and the veteran defender is eager to prove he still has something to offer. Former Manchester United and England captain Rio Ferdinand has signed for QPR on a one-year deal. Press Association “It’s not about money – I had loads of more lucrative offers available to me. I still feel I’ve got something to offer and I’m excited about helping this club cement its place in the Premier League.” After establishing himself as a firm favourite at Upton Park, Ferdinand moved to Leeds in 2000 for a then-British transfer record of £18million. He was an integral part of David O’Leary’s young side that reached the Champions League semi-finals in 2001 and was installed as captain at Elland Road the following season. During his time in West Yorkshire, Ferdinand became an England regular and attracted the attention of Manchester United following an impressive showing at the 2002 World Cup in Japan and South Korea. Another big fee, reported to be almost £30million, saw Ferdinand move across the Pennines where he would go on to make over 450 appearances and win six Premier League titles, the Champions League, two League Cups and the FIFA Club World Cup. Ferdinand spent eight months on the sidelines in 2004 for missing a drugs test, sitting out the 3-0 FA Cup final success over Millwall and the entire Euro 2004 tournament. Having been named England captain in early 2010, Ferdinand missed out on leading Fabio Capello’s side in the 2010 World Cup due to a knee injury sustained in the build-up to the tournament. He announced his international retirement in May 2013 and went on to play one more season at United, making 23 appearances in a disappointing campaign for the Red Devils. Interim manager Ryan Giggs selected Ferdinand for the final-day draw at Southampton, with the defender announcing soon afterwards that he would be looking for a new club. Linking up with Redknapp always appeared to be a strong possibility and the R’s boss is delighted to be able to work with Ferdinand again. “Rio’s a fantastic player and a great professional, I’m delighted we’ve been able to bring him here,” he said. “I signed Rio as a 14-year-old. He was class on the field and off the field then, and he’s continued in that manner throughout his career. During his time at Manchester United, he was the best defender in Europe, if not the world. “To bring him to QPR, when he’s still got so much to offer in terms of his quality, class, experience and know-how, is a remarkable coup for the club.” last_img read more

Read More →

Sally Smith, 65, formerly of Oxford: July 31, 1948 – March 12, 2014

first_imgSally SmithSally Smith, 65, of Derby, formerly of Oxford died on March 12, 2014 at her home in Derby.Funeral Services will be held at 2 p.m. Tuesday, March 17th at the Oxford Funeral Service Chapel in Oxford. Visitation will be held from 3 p.m. until 8 p.m. on Monday, March 18th at the Oxford Funeral Service Chapel with the family receiving friends from 5 to 7 p.m. at the funeral home. A memorial has been established with the St. Jude’s Children’s Foundation. Contributions can be left with the funeral home. For further information or to leave a condolence please visit www.oxfordfuneralservice.comSally Lynnette McLaughlin was born on July 31, 1948 the daughter of James and Violet (Brown) McLaughlin in Concordia. She was a 1966 graduate of the Winfield high School. On June 1, 1969 she was united in marriage with Franklin Smith. Sally was a homemaker who enjoyed sewing, quilting and crafts. She liked to read and  most of all, loved her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren.Surviving to honor her memory are her children; Leslie Smith of San Diego, CA, Larry Smith and wife Teresa of Wichita, KS, Lynne Taylor and husband John of Augusta, AR, Ricky May of Derby, KS and Christi Elston and husband Mario of Arkansas City, KS, sister, Carol Bowman of Wellington, KS, 13grandchildren  and 8 great grandchildren.Preceding her in death are her parents, husband Franklin Smith in 2007, grandchildren; Aaron May and Jeffrey Taylor.last_img read more

Read More →

DONEGAL’S NUMBER ONE CELTIC FAN DONATES MEMORABILIA TO STUDENTS

first_imgGaoth Dobhair woman Máire Rua Ní Ghallchóir, a dedicated Celtic fan for 67 years, this week presented her sizeable collection of Celtic memorabilia to students in Pobalscoil Ghaoth Dobhair.The presentation was broadcast on RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta’s Donegal magazine programme Barrscéalta today. Speaking on RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta, Máire explained that she wanted to ensure that her collection of scarves, hats, cups, towels, books, jerseys and more, accumulated over a lifetime of supporting the team, would go to a good home.She feared that, in the event of her death, the collection might be thrown out and so decided recently that the best course of action was to give it to some young supporters to enjoy.Today on Barrscéalta, listeners heard Máire Rua, a well-known character, describe some of her many experiences as a Celtic Fan.Máire spoke about how she attended her first match at the age of 16, while she was working as a tattie hoaker in Scotland. It was in Ibrox, and she recalled that all she cared about was Charlie Tully, and once she found out his number she just watched him for the whole match and wasn’t a bit bothered that Celtic lost 4-0 to Rangers.She reminisced about meeting Tully, and him asking her if she was the little girl who used to write to him from the farms, something that made her day.At the presentation on Wednesday, Máire regaled the students in Pobalscoil Ghaoth Dobhair with amusing stories of her life as a Celtic supporter, including making the front pages of the papers in Scotland when she got a fish supper thrown at her by a Rangers supporter while working as a conductor on the buses in Glasgow! But all was forgiven, and they became firm friends afterwards!Máire Rua was speaking today on Barrscéalta on RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta. DONEGAL’S NUMBER ONE CELTIC FAN DONATES MEMORABILIA TO STUDENTS was last modified: May 17th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:CeltocGaoth DobhairMaire Rualast_img read more

Read More →