Test opener Campbell poised to lead Scorpions

first_imgKNGSTON, Jamaica, (CMC) – West Indies Test opener John Campbell has been recommended to lead Jamaica Scorpions in the Regional four-day championship bowling off next week.The 26-year-old’s name was put forward by head coach Andre Coley and chief selector, Junior Bennett, and is now awaiting ratification by the Scorpions board.Once the recommendation is upheld, Campbell will replace Paul Palmer who averaged 19 last season and subsequently turned out for Combined Campuses and Colleges Marooners in the Super50 Cup last November.Palmer has not been named in the 13-man squad to face Trinidad and Tobago Red Force from January 9-12 in Port of Spain.Campbell has played six Tests following his debut against England last year January, managing to strike up a decent partnership with vice-captain Kraigg Brathwaite at the top of the order.A veteran of 62 first class matches, he is the only current West Indies player in the squad which includes out-of-favour batsmen Jermaine Blackwood and Rovman Powell.Blackwood scored 465 runs last season and belatedly featured in the second Test against India in Kingston last September when he became West Indies’ first-ever concussion substitute by replacing Darren Bravo in the second innings.Powell, meanwhile, who led Scorpions during the recent Super50 and averaged 58 with two hundreds, has been ignored for the captaincy.Batsman Alwyn Williams, with a single first class appearance, and uncapped left-arm spinner Patrick Harty, have been named in the squad.Scorpions finished one from bottom of the six-team standings last season after managing just three wins in 10 outings.SQUAD – John Campbell, Alwyn Williams, Jermaine Blackwood, Assad Fudadin, Nkrumah Bonner, Rovman Powell, Denis Smith, Aldaine Thomas, Dennis Bulli, Nicholson Gordon, Derval Green, Patrick Harty, Marquino Mlast_img read more

Read More →

Football searches for momentum amid coaching changes

first_imgRedshirt sophomore wide receiver Velus Jones runs for open ground in USC’s game against Arizona State. (Emily Smith | Daily Trojan)In the wake of freshman quarterback JT Daniels’ return and the transfer of control over the offense from offensive coordinator Tee Martin to head coach Clay Helton, Wednesday’s practice was a calm affair for the Trojans as the team prepared to face Oregon State.It was the second day of practice for offensive line coach Tim Drevno, and Helton said that the new coach is focusing on bringing a new emphasis on fundamentals. He also announced the introduction of graduate assistant Mike Goff as the new interim coach to fill out the staff ahead of Saturday’s game.On an otherwise lowkey day of practice, one statement stood out — the seniors made a choice as a group to ignore the typical practice of  “No-Pads-November,” which previously meant spending the last month of the season without pads on during any practice sessions. In the past, this was done in an attempt to ease players through the final few weeks of the season without injuries, and to help players suffering from any nagging soreness or tweaks to fully recover without the risk of agitating something in practice. “They want a sense of urgency, to have a great November, and I commend them,” Helton said. “They want to leave their legacy. They want to show young people exactly how you treat a November and how you practice.”This year, however, that won’t be an option, Helton said. The seniors decided that the team isn’t playing physical enough in games to earn the final month of rest in practice. Although there are only a handful of games left, he said that the seniors feel the team still lacks in physical play on both sides of the ball — the defense is struggling to wrap up tackles and make big plays, and the offense isn’t finding a way to power through hits and hard blocking up front.The decision to forego “No-Pads-November” came after the return of key players, including Daniels and senior captain and linebacker Cam Smith. On the defensive side, Smith’s return has offered a sense of calm for a team that struggled to find its rhythm without the leader at its core in past weeks. At middle linebacker, Helton said, Smith has an ability to direct traffic that comes with experience, not just talent. While Helton acknowledged that freshman linebacker Palaie Gaoteote IV was “phenomenal” in his ability to step up well in Smith’s absence, wrapping up five tackles against Arizona State, he believes that the return of a senior leader will make a difference in the at defense.“It’s tough for anyone to sit on the sideline and watch but I had a lot of fun,” Smith said. “I got to see things from a different point and helped out some guys. We always talk about how you learn more when you teach, so I got to watch some guys and I think some guys made some huge strides.”The defense in particular is continuing to be forced to make adjustments due to injuries, especially in the secondary. Senior safety Marvell Tell played teacher again on Wednesday as he worked with wide receiver Ajene Harris on repetitions at the safety spot. Tell has been forced to work in this mentorship role throughout the season, as the secondary rotated through losses due to suspensions, academic issues and injury. Helton pointed out that this is a key area that the senior and captain has been able to step up for his team.Injury ReportFew changes were made to the injury report between Tuesday and Wednesday. Junior linebacker Jordan Iosefa suited up but remained out of practice after suffering an AC sprain. Linebacker John Houston is also limited after coming up gimpy with an ankle injury during team period on Tuesday.Redshirt senior tight end Austin Applebee remains sidelined, along with sophomore wide receiver Randal Grimes. The defense is continuing to suffer the brunt of major injuries, with junior defensive linemen Connor Murphy and Caleb Tremblay remaining out of practice, along with sophomore linebacker Levi Jones and freshman defensive back Chase Williams. A total of 15 scholarship players are on the sidelines for the Trojans headed into Saturday’s game.last_img read more

Read More →

U.S. Open 2015: Flavia Pennetta wins title, will retire

first_imgIt was a U.S. Open final no one expected and — in the U.S. — not many wanted but Flavia Pennetta could not care less.Pennetta beat childhood pal and fellow Italian Roberta Vinci 7-6 (4) 6-2 in the title match in New York, a day after the runner-up engineered one of the biggest shocks in tennis history by ousting Serena Williams.Speaking of shocks, Pennetta then said in her on-court interview Saturday she was retiring from tennis. At first it was thought Pennetta was stopping now but she later told reporters she’ll play until the end of the season.Pennetta, who will turn 34 in February and almost quit the game because of a wrist injury years ago, became the oldest first-time grand slam champion in the Open Era.All of Italy rejoiced having two home-grown players in the final — Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi even flew to the Big Apple for the unprecedented occasion — but pockets of Arthur Ashe stadium, the largest regularly used stadium in tennis with a capacity of about 23,000, were empty.Had the U.S.’s Williams made the final, it certainly wouldn’t have been the case. Chasing a calendar-year grand slam heading into the year’s last major, the women’s final at the U.S. Open sold out prior to the men’s for the first time. USA Today said that after Williams topped older sister Venus in the quarterfinals, the average ticket price soared from around $600 to $1,500. After Vinci stunned Williams on Friday, though, the Associated Press reported tickets could be purchased for $45.Besides the omission of 21-time grand slam winner Williams, the U.S. Open final featured two players ranked outside the top 20 for the first time since the rankings were introduced. They used to be, however, No. 1 players in doubles.Fans that did show up for the final, and they were plenty nonetheless — including actors Robert Redford and Michael Douglas — saw Pennetta handle the moment better.She was also able to handle Vinci’s backhand slice, the most recognized part of the world No. 43’s game. The slice, at times, befuddled Williams and helped to coax 40 unforced errors Friday. On paper, Pennetta was the favorite. She was better ranked, at 26th, won one of the most prestigious tournaments outside the majors at Indian Wells last year, reached the top 10 in 2009 and held a 5-3 record versus the 32-year-old Vinci. Further, the U.S. Open has by far been her most successful grand slam.And now she’s Italy’s second women’s grand slam singles champ, following in the quick footsteps of Francesca Schiavone.Waiting for the trophy presentation and in a rare occurrence among players, Pennetta and Vinci sat together. Pennetta called Vinci one of her best friends on tour; they hail from the same region, Puglia, in Italy.The men’s finalSunday’s men’s final sees two familiar names play for the championship. Novak Djokovic, the world No. 1, faces Roger Federer for the second successive time to cap a grand slam. Djokovic, only the second man in the last 45 years after Federer to make all four grand slam finals in one season, won at Wimbledon and is seeking a 10th grand slam crown.The evergreen Federer, 34, tries for a men’s record extending 18th and first since 2012.last_img read more

Read More →

Wellington Police Notes: Friday, June 10 – Sunday, June 12, 2016

first_imgWellington Police notes: Friday, June 10 to Sunday, June 12, 2016: Friday, June 10, 2016No reports were filed.Saturday, June 11, 2016•1 a.m. Officers investigated a battery and curfew violation in the 1000 block W. 8th, Wellington by known suspect(s).•5:14 a.m. Officers investigated a theft of medication in the 1300 block N. A, Wellington.•1:46 p.m. Officers investigated criminal damage to a vehicle in the 1100 block S. Washington, Wellington.•4:37 p.m. Officers investigated criminal damage to vehicles in the 1000 block S. Washington, Wellington.4:45 p.m. Officers took a report of a verbal disturbance in the 1100 block N. C, Wellington by known subject(s).•5 p.m. Officers investigated disorderly conduct in the 900 block W. 7th, Wellington by known suspect(s).•7:05 p.m. Officers investigated a theft and criminal damage to camping equipment in the 500 block Lake View Road, Mayfield.•10:15 p.m. Officers investigated driving while license is suspended in the 200 block N. Park, Wellington.•10:33 p.m. Danny R. King, 58, Wellington was arrested, charged and bonded with driving while license is suspended.•10:40 p.m. David E. McBee, 53, Sedgwick, was issued a notice to appear for defective headlamp.Sunday, June 12, 2016•8:05 a.m. Officers investigated a burglary of food items in the 800 block E. 16th, Wellington by known suspect(s).•9:35 a.m. Officers investigated a theft of a laptop by unknown suspect(s) in the 700 block N. Woodlawn, Wellington.•11:39 a.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 1100 block W. Harvey, Wellington.•12:04 p.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 300 block W. 10th, Wellington.•12:26 p.m. Officers took a report of found BB gun in the 1200 block N. C, Wellington.•3:53 p.m. Officers investigated disorderly conduct in the 900 block W. 7th, Wellington by known suspect.•6:02 p.m. Officers took a report of found keys in the 1800 block E. 16th, Wellington.•7:59 p.m. Officers investigated probation violation and disorderly conduct in the 900 block W. 7ty, Wellington by known suspect.•8:23 p.m. Gary W. Webb, 62, Wellington was arrested, charged and bonded with probation violation and disorderly conduct.last_img read more

Read More →