Trump says unproven coronavirus drugs could be ‘gift from God’

first_imgUS President Donald Trump on Monday said antimalarial drugs that are under investigation to treat the new coronavirus could be a “gift from God” despite scientists warning against the dangers of overhyping unproven medicines.Trump announced last week his administration was working to dramatically expand access to hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine, a related compound, following promising early studies in France and China that found the drugs helped patients suffering from the COVID-19 illness.Many scientists including Anthony Fauci, the United States’ leading infectious disease expert, have urged the public to remain cautious until larger clinical trials validate the smaller studies. “I saw it sitting on the back shelf and thought, ‘Hey, isn’t that the stuff they’re talking about on TV?'” NBC quoted the unnamed woman as saying.Banner Health, a non-profit health care provider based in Phoenix, said on its website that “a man has died and his wife is under critical care after the couple, both in their 60s, ingested chloroquine phosphate, an additive commonly used at aquariums to clean fish tanks.”Banner Health warned against self-medicating to treat or prevent the COVID-19 illness.Trump has been criticized by some in the scientific community for overhyping the drugs — which could create shortages for Americans who need them to treat lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, diseases for which they are approved.New York is set to begin a clinical trial on Tuesday that would treat patients with hydroxychloroquine taken together with azithromycin, an antibiotic used to clear secondary bacterial infections. Separately, Vice President Mike Pence announced that self-administered nasal swab tests for the illness would be made available this week, thus reducing part of the burden on the overstretched health care system.At present, the test is administered by health care workers wearing personal protective gear, which is in short supply.The US has almost 44,000 cases and 560 deaths, according to a tracker maintained by Johns Hopkins University.Topics : But Trump demonstrated no such restraint at a White House press briefing on Monday.”The hydroxychloroquine and the Z-Pak, I think as a combination probably is looking very, very good,” he said.”There’s a real chance that it could have a tremendous impact, it would be a gift from God, if that worked it would be a big game changer,” he added, quoting the example of a patient who was ill but recovered after taking the drug.NBC reported that a woman in Arizona, who heard Trump talk about chloroquine, ended up in hospital and her husband died after they took a form of chloroquine she had used to treat her koi fish.last_img read more

Read More →

IKEA donates blankets, bed sheets to COVID-19 hospitals

first_imgSweden-based furniture store IKEA has donated household items to the Indonesian Hospital Association (PERSI) to support COVID-19 referral hospitals.The company handed out bed sheets, blankets, towels and trolleys to five hospitals in Banten and Sentul in Bogor, West Java, namely Permata Pamulang Hospital, BUN Kosambi Maternity Hospital, MISI Lebak Hospital, An Nisa Cibodas Hospital and EMC Sentul Hospital.IKEA Indonesia public relations head Ririn Basuki said the hospitals were among the first to receive COVID-19 positive patients in their respective areas. “Hospitals play a crucial role in testing and treating COVID-19 patients and IKEA will support the medical personnel who are on the frontline combating this pandemic,” she said in a written statement on Monday.Read also: We’re all in this together: Companies join hands to mitigate COVID-19 pandemicThe furniture giant also donated hygiene kits to people in Jakarta as an initiative to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus.As of Monday, the Health Ministry announced 218 new confirmed cases, bringing the total number of infections nationwide to 2,491 with 187 cases in Banten and 263 cases in West Java. While 11 more deaths have been reported, bringing the death toll to 209. (eyc)Topics :last_img read more

Read More →

Syracuse football DBs Corey Winfield and Chauncey Scissum allegedly stabbed by former teammate Naesean Howard

first_imgHoward was charged with two counts of assault in the second degree and criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree. It is unknown what led to the stabbing, the Syracuse Police Department said. The stabbing occurred Saturday at about 6:03 p.m. at 321 Slocum Drive on South Campus. Howard has been indefinitely suspended from the university, Kevin Quinn, SU’s senior vice president for public affairs, said in a statement to The Daily Orange. Howard lives at 450 Slocum Drive and was arrested on the 1000 block of Ackerman Avenue, according to a police bulletin.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text Related Stories Former Syracuse football safety Naesean Howard re-enrolled at SU and reportedly wants to play footballFormer Syracuse football safety Naesean Howard won’t be accepted as walk-on this springShafer on Naesean Howard: ‘We have decided to part ways’ Former Syracuse football player Naesean Howard has been arrested for stabbing two 21-year-old men, police said. The victims were Syracuse safety Chauncey Scissum and cornerback Corey Winfield. “We are aware of this incident and our focus right now is on supporting our two students as they recover,” Quinn said in the statement. “The accused individual, who knew the victims, has been suspended from the University indefinitely. We do not tolerate any act of violence and the safety of our campus and community is a top priority.” Facebook Twitter Google+center_img At the beginning of his freshman year in 2014, Howard was suspended during fall camp for missing curfew. He missed the team’s annual trip to Fort Drum but was reinstated. Howard never played for Syracuse before parting ways and transferring to Wagner, where he also never played.The West Genesee (New York) High school product re-enrolled at SU this semester after he left the football team and the university in 2014. The walk-on safety reached out to the Orange’s new coaching staff to try and return to the team but was told by director of operations Brad Wittke that he’d have to wait until the summer when he might be given a chance to join workouts or try out then. Comments Lord I ask that you keep a close eye on my brothers Chauncey and Corey they was stabbed in a off the field incident on campus #GodBless #SYR— Durell Eskridge (@iam_de35) April 17, 2016 Published on April 16, 2016 at 11:43 pm Contact Paul: [email protected] | @pschwedslast_img read more

Read More →

Syracuse men’s basketball attendance drops 10 percent but SU still finishes 2nd in NCAA report

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Syracuse finished second in average home attendance for the 2015-16 season, the NCAA announced in its annual attendance report. Kentucky topped the list, beating out the Orange for the first time since the 2012-13 campaign.SU average attendance declined from 23,854 fans per game in 2014-15 to 21,592 fans this season, a 10 percent fall. Total Carrier Dome attendance was 367,068 in the Orange’s 17 home games.Syracuse finished third behind North Carolina and Kentucky in attendance for all contests, which includes home, road and neutral-site games. A total of 682,039 people attended Syracuse basketball games in 2015-16. Syracuse has finished first in average home attendance 14 times in program history and has placed fourth or better each season since the Carrier Dome opened in 1980. Comments Published on June 9, 2016 at 8:28 pm Contact Matthew: [email protected] | @MatthewGut21last_img read more

Read More →