Fears of new COVID-19 cluster at North Sumatra University as rector tests positive

first_imgThe rector of the North Sumatra University (USU) in Medan, Runtung Sitepu, along with deputy rector Rosmayati and the university’s board of trustees member Darma Bakti have tested positive for COVID-19, local authorities confirmed on Sunday. “There are three USU executives who tested positive for COVID-19. To contain the spread of the virus, we urge all those who have been in close contact with them within the last 14 days to take a swab test at the USU hospital or other swab test centers located in North Sumatra,” USU hospital director Syah Mirsya Wali said on Sunday.The three confirmed cases in USU have raised concerns of a new COVID-19 cluster in the region as the campus remains open, with computer-based exams (UTBK) as part of the annual state university entrance test (SBMPTN) set to continue until the end of the month with as many as 35,794 participants. USU spokesperson Elvi Sumanti said the matter was “still being coordinated with the executive board,” adding that all campus activities would continue normally.“The rector tested positive, without showing any symptoms, based on the independent swab test that he took,” she told The Jakarta Post. Runtung himself confirmed his health status to the press via phone on Sunday. “I am fine and I don’t feel like I am sick,” he said.He also urged anyone who had been in close contact with him to take a COVID-19 swab test immediately. “I don’t want to cover it [positive COVID-19 result] up, that is why I am asking this matter to be published.”Meanwhile, North Sumatra COVID-19 task force spokesperson Aris Yudhariansyah called on USU to do comprehensive tracing and implement strict health protocols to curb the spread of the virus in one of the biggest and most prestigious universities in the region. According to the official government count, North Sumatra has 2,323 confirmed COVID-19 cases, with 123 deaths as of Sunday.(trn)Topics :last_img read more

Read More →

CORRECTION-Tracker Flyers to compete for league championship

first_imgThe Fort St. John Tracker Flyers are three wins away from an NAMHL championship.Friday April 1, the Tracker Flyers will begin competing in the playoff finals, in a best-of-five series with the St. Albert Blues for the league championship.- Advertisement -As the regular season first placed team, the St. Albert Blues will have home ice advantage, hosting the Flyers for the first, second and third games of the finals.The Flyers will play host to the Blues for games four and five if necessary at the North Peace Arena. Game four will take place on Saturday, April 9 at 7:30 p.m. and game five on Sunday, April 10 at 12:30 p.m.The Tracker Flyers road to the finals has been extremely successful so far, as the team has yet to lose a post season game, sweeping all three series they have participated in.last_img read more

Read More →

WINDFARM GROUP WELCOMES REVIEW ON NOISE GUIDELINES

first_imgThe Glenties Windfarm Information Group has cautiously welcomed the public call for submissions as part of the review of the Wind Energy Guidelines (2006).The review is focused upon creating adequate safeguards to mitigate against the negative impact of noise and shadow-flicker from windfarms on neighbouring properties and homes.Spokesperson for the Glenties group, Mr. Ernan O’Donnell said noise and shadow-flicker are issues of particular concern to our members and formed a significant element of our submissions to the Straboy oral hearing last October. “The expert evidence of Dr. Christopher Hanning, on noise and health and Mr. Dick Bowdler, on noise assessment provided at that time clearly demonstrate the failings of the current guidelines to protect public health and underline the inability of local authorities, including Donegal County Council, to adequately assess the noise impacts of windfarm developments,” he said.He added these issues are compounded by the increasing size of turbines and the encroachment of proposed windfarm developments closer to residential areas.Mr. O’Donnell pointed to the recent Donegal County Council decision to grant permission for sixteen, almost 500ft (152m) turbines at Newmills, outside Letterkenny as such an example. Our group is being contacted, almost daily, by new windfarm neighbours seeking our support on how to effectively appeal against such decisions, he confirmed.The Glenties group also point to the incredible decision of Donegal County Council to eliminate the 500m setback distance between individual turbines and homes in the revised, Donegal County Development Plan – 2012-18. This decision was taken at a council meeting, in June 2012, following a proposal from Cllr. Terence Slowey, and despite almost half of the public submissions received on the revised plan requesting that a 2km setback be adopted in line with international best practice.Mr. O’Donnell advised that the group have learned lessons from that process and are currently preparing their submission but he did raise concerns regarding the short time-frame for the acceptance of submissions by the Department, which closes on 15 February 2013.   WINDFARM GROUP WELCOMES REVIEW ON NOISE GUIDELINES was last modified: February 2nd, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:GLENTIES WINDFARM INFORMATION GROUPlast_img read more

Read More →