VP Of Skilled Nursing At Heritage Appointed To Nursing Facility Cabinet

first_imgImage by Heritage Ministries.GERRY – Heritage Ministries’ Vice President of Skilled Nursing Operations was recently appointed to a regional nursing facility cabinet that advocates for older adults.As a member of the LeadingAge Illinois Nursing Facility Cabinet, Jeremy Rutter will be responsible for helping identify needs of members that he represents and determining how the group can help meet the needs.The cabinet also acts as the governance body that works on the public policy agenda for the member type they represent. Tasks can include determining if a piece of legislation should be supported or opposed by LeadingAge Illinois, determining if LeadingAge Illinois should propose a piece of legislation and helping to write it, and examining regulations and proposing changes.“I am very happy to be able to represent the skilled nursing facility community and serve on this cabinet,” said Rutter. “As the Vice President of Skilled Nursing Operations for Heritage Ministries, my mission is to ensure our elderly are cared for in environments that promote Hope, Dignity, and Purposeful Living. It is not enough that I do that for my own community, and through legislative and advocacy work with LeadingAge, I hope to extend that to all elderly living in skilled nursing facilities.” Committed to advancing excellence, LeadingAge Illinois advocates quality services, promotes innovative practices and fosters collaboration.LeadingAge Illinois serves the full spectrum of providers including home and community based services, senior housing, continuing care retirement communities, assisted living, supportive living, and skilled nursing/rehabilitation centers. Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read More →

AEP to close two units at Conesville coal plant on May 31

first_imgAEP to close two units at Conesville coal plant on May 31 FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享S&P Global Market Intelligence ($):American Electric Power Co. Inc. will shut down units 5 and 6 at its 1,530-MW Conesville coal plant in Coshocton County, Ohio, on May 31, a company spokeswoman confirmed.The units represent 750MW of generating capacity in the PJM Interconnection market.In October 2018, AEP said it notified employees of plans to shut down the plant by May 31, 2020. “There are market conditions that could result in two of the generating units at Conesville (Units 5 and 6) closing as soon as May 2019,” AEP spokeswoman Melissa McHenry said at the time. On May 13, she said the company had decided to close the units this month. AEP had previously announced that it would close the two units in 2022.McHenry said the company expects the other operating unit at the plant, unit 4, to remain in service until May 2020. This unit has 780 MW of capacity, according to S&P Global Market Intelligence data.The plant’s primary sources of coal, according to Market Intelligence data, are the CCU Barb Coal Tipple mine in Coshocton County, Ohio, and Buckingham Mine No. 6 in Perry County, Ohio. CCU Coal and Construction LLC took the mines over from Westmoreland Coal Co. earlier this year.More ($): AEP to retire 750 MW of coal capacity at Conesville plantlast_img read more

Read More →

Dominican Army Joins Government Agencies in Fight against Zika-carrying Mosquito

first_imgThe ERD’s preventive work, which is part of the National Campaign for the Fumigation, Counseling, and Breeding Site Removal of the Aedes Aegypti, has been providing invaluable support to the civilian population nationwide. The ERD has complemented the campaign by creating the Epidemiological Sickness Mitigation Unit (UMEE, for its Spanish acronym) to support the Ministry of Public Health. Supporting the civilian population By Dialogo April 13, 2016 The Combat Support and Service Support Brigades are conducting their operations in Villa Mella and Los Guaricanos, with the Third Infantry Brigade focusing on the provinces of San Juan de la Maguana and Elías Piña. The ERD’s Fourth Infantry Brigade is conducting its operations in the provinces of Valverde Mao and Dajabón, while the Fifth Infantry Brigade is working in the provinces of Barahona and Jimaní. A month earlier, in February, the ERD supported the Public Health Ministry’s Brigade during visits to preselected homes where the Army focused on areas where water was stored and the insect incubated, such as tanks, planters, tires, and cisterns. The ERD, which also concentrated on patios, alleys, gardens, roofs, and empty lots, counseled civilians on the dangers of these illnesses, their characteristics, symptoms, and steps to follow if someone is suspected of being infected. Authorities launched the public health campaign on January 25th, when Defense Minister Lieutenant General Máximo W. Muñoz Delgado deployed more than 2,000 Military service members to use new fumigation and cleaning equipment in neighborhoods in Santo Domingo and in other cities nationwide to support the Ministry of Public Health and prevent the diseases from spreading. They supported more than 100 specialized doctors from the Military who had joined the National Campaign for the Fumigation, Counseling, and Breeding Site Removal of the Aedes Aegypti mosquito. Nearly 6,000 dwellings fumigated During the third week of March, the Army’s Third Infantry Brigade, under the command of General Milton de Jesús Frías Gómez, resumed the fumigation campaign that other ERD units had been working on since January. On March 4th, police and the Public Works Ministry’s Military Commission sprayed 5,888 dwellings in Villa Altagracia as a continuation of the Counter Zika, Dengue, and Chikungunya Fumigation Program that supports the Ministry of Public Health and Social Assistance. “The UMEE is working around the clock and is at the service of the Ministry of Public Health as a way of confronting the Zika and dengue viruses, among other illnesses,” Major General José Eugenio Matos de la Cruz stated. center_img “Their assistance consisted of following orders from the Ministry of Defense. First was the creation, equipping, and training of the Epidemiological Unit, [which] is the size of a platoon – 30 personnel – and organically dependent upon the Humanitarian Rescue Unit. The Epidemiological Unit was created, trained, and sustained with resources from the Army,” Col. De la Cruz explained. “Secondly, the Commanders from senior units responsible for different regions throughout the country identify vulnerable communities and possible infection foci with help from their medical personnel and by coordinating with civil authorities in their operational areas. Thirdly, a team from the unit is sent to conduct the fumigation operations and awareness campaigns for those living in the communities where counter-Zika operations are being held.” Fumigation campaign ongoing The Dominican Republic’s Army (ERD) said it attained excellent results from its cooperative campaign with other government institutions in recent months to fight the Aedes Aegypti mosquito, which is responsible for spreading the Zika, dengue, and chikingunya viruses throughout the country. The operations centered on the capital of Santo Domingo and its peripheral areas, as well as the provinces of San Cristóbal, Azua, Pedernales, Independencia, Elías Piña, Dajabón, and Montecristi. In January, the First Infantry Brigade was assigned all Military zones, while the Second and Sixth Brigades was deployed to the nearby neighborhoods of Santiago de los Caballeros and San Pedro de Macorís, which are in the provinces of Santiago and San Pedro de Macorís, respectively. They also carried out preventive operations in the provinces of San Juan de la Maguana under the supervision of the Ministry of Public Health and in coordination with the Emergency Operations Center. From January 25th until the end of March, the ERD coordinated with Ministry of Public Health, provincial governors, and mayors to conduct epidemiological monitoring throughout the operation. “[It’s been] a great success for us,” Colonel Puro De la Cruz Arias, the ERD’s public relations director, told Diálogo.“The Army provided an immediate and timely response to the alert declared by the Ministry of Public Health and the [orders] of the government through the Armed Forces to execute an urgent program of prevention, mitigation, and response in the presence of the Zika virus in the country.” The Military will maintain its fight against the diseases. “We will continue with the operations under the instructions of the Ministry of Defense regarding the prevention and mitigation [of the spread and impact of Zika] throughout the national territory,” Col. De la Cruz said.last_img read more

Read More →

Brentwood Crash Leaves Pedestrian Dead

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A pedestrian was fatally hit by a vehicle in Brentwood over the weekend.Suffolk County police said Matthew Padilla, 24, of Brentwood, was driving a Toyota westbound on Second Avenue when his vehicle struck a man east of Brentwood Road at 4:30 a.m. Saturday.The victim, who has not yet been identified, was taken to Southside Hospital in Bay Shore, where he was pronounced dead.Third Squad detectives impounded the vehicle, are continuing the investigation and ask anyone with information about this crash to call them at 631-854-8352.last_img

Read More →

Millennial CEO charged with fraud

first_img 6SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr Prosecutors alleged Wednesday the former president/CEO of the $231 million Valor Federal Credit Union in Scranton, Pa., embezzled $718,000 to pay for credit card bills, college tuition, his spouse’s birthday party and a golf tournament sponsorship.In addition to a fraud charge, Sean E. Jelen, 33, was also charged with attempted fraud for trying to steal an additional $1.1 million by creating a forged severance contract before he was fired by the board of directors in August 2015.What’s more, about five months prior to his termination, Jelen allegedly rigged Valor’s board of directors’ election by electing an individual only identified in court documents as R.T. But Jelen did this without R.T.’s knowledge. continue reading »last_img read more

Read More →

Oral arguments in CU’s ADA case conclude; NAFCU awaits decision

first_img continue reading » Oral arguments concluded Tuesday in the case against the Department of Labor Federal Credit Union (DOLFCU) regarding unclear website accessibility standards under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). NAFCU attended the arguments, held by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit; NAFCU has also filed an amicus brief in support of the credit union in this case, and also stood by DOLFCU during its first hearing earlier this year.“NAFCU and our member credit unions are awaiting a decision at the appellate level, which could set a heavier precedent than those we’ve already seen from lower court cases,” said Carrie Hunt, NAFCU’s executive vice president of government affairs and general counsel. “Credit unions strongly support ADA protections, but they have been targeted by meritless lawsuits because of unclear guidance on website applicability standards.”Hunt and Vice President of Regulatory Compliance Brandy Bruyere attended Tuesday’s arguments, in which the panel of judges was engaged and well versed on the issue. NAFCU expects a decision to be issued in the upcoming month; the association will keep credit unions updated. ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblrlast_img read more

Read More →

Inner City

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Read More →

United Kingdom has 19 confirmed cases of the new coronavirus

first_imgThe new coronavirus which emerged in Wuhan, China, in December has infected tens of thousands of people.The virus – which causes a disease now called COVID-19 – is transmitted from person to person via droplets when an infected person breathes out, coughs or sneezes. It can also spread via contaminated surfaces such as door handles or railings.Mainland China – where the virus originated late last year – reported 327 new cases, the lowest since Jan. 23, taking its tally to more than 78,800 cases with almost 2,800 deaths.Beyond China, about 70 people have died so far due to the virus. Topics : The United Kingdom now has 19 confirmed cases of the new coronavirus after Wales identified its first case and two new cases were found in England, health authorities said on Friday.”The total number of UK cases is 19,” the health ministry said.Britain reported its first confirmed coronavirus case on Jan. 31.last_img read more

Read More →

COVID-19: Govt claims more than half of country at low risk of infection

first_img“Hospital availability has also increased, from 132 referral hospitals [three months ago] to 800 referral hospitals in all 34 provinces,” Wiku said.  The country increased its rate of testing between May and June, when 220 laboratories tested nearly 20,000 samples a day. At the beginning of the outbreak, there was only one laboratory testing less than 1,000 samples daily.Wiku further claimed that some regions had managed to contain the virus. As of Sunday, 38 cities or regencies in 19 provinces had recorded zero cases of COVID-19 in the last four weeks.However, 57 cities or regencies are categorized as red zones (high-risk areas), while 157 areas are orange zones (medium-risk). The number of red zones increased from 51 to 57 between June 14 and 21.“The local administrations are the key actors of reporting and mitigating COVID-19 in their jurisdictions,” said Dewi Nur Aisyah, an epidemiologist on the national task force’s team of experts.President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo said he appreciated local leaders and regional task forces that managed to contain the virus.“With an integrated information system, we can roll out policies that are based on data and science,” he said.Topics : The government has claimed that almost 60 percent of the country is either at low risk of COVID-19 infection or has zero cases.According to the chief of the national COVID-19 task force expert staff, Wiku Adisasmito, 188 regions in Indonesia are classified as yellow zones (places where there is a low risk of infection), while 112 are green zones (regions where there are zero confirmed cases).He explained that the percentage of regions included in yellow or green zones had been consistently increasing, from 46.7 percent to 58.3 percent between May 31 and June 21, though the number decreased once to 44.3 percent on June 7. “Some businesses [in those regions] have reopened,” Wiku said in a virtual press briefing from the State Palace on Wednesday.He claimed that Indonesia’s economic and public health situation was otherwise “not really worse” compared to other countries thanks to the policies implemented by the government. Read also: Indonesia records new daily highs in cases during transition to ‘new normal’In the last three months, there was an increase in the number of hospitals that handed over reports of COVID-19 cases to the national task force, from 250 in the early days of the outbreak to 1,687 thus far.last_img read more

Read More →

Russia becomes first country to approve a COVID-19 vaccine, says Putin

first_imgPresident Vladimir Putin said on Tuesday that Russia had become the first country in the world to grant regulatory approval to a COVID-19 vaccine after less than two months of human testing, a move hailed by Moscow as evidence of its scientific prowess.The vaccine still has to complete final trials, raising concerns among some experts at the speed of its approval, but the Russian business conglomerate Sistema has said it expects to put it into mass production by the end of the year.Russian health workers treating COVID-19 patients will be offered the chance of volunteering to be vaccinated in the coming weeks, a source told Reuters last month. Speaking at a government meeting on state television, Putin dismissed those concerns, saying the vaccine, developed by Moscow’s Gamaleya Institute, was safe and that it had even been administered to one of his daughters.”I know that it works quite effectively, forms strong immunity, and I repeat, it has passed all the needed checks,” said Putin.He said he hoped mass production would start soon.Phase III trialThe vaccine’s approval by the health ministry comes before the start of a larger trial involving thousands of participants, commonly known as a Phase III trial.Such trials, which require a certain rate of participants catching the virus to observe the vaccine’s effect, are normally considered essential precursors for a vaccine to receive regulatory approval.The Moscow-based Association of Clinical Trials Organizations (ACTO), a trade body representing the world’s top drugmakers in Russia this week urged the health ministry to postpone approval until that final trial had been successfully completed.In a letter to the ministry, it said there were high risks associated with registering a drug before that happened.”It is during this phase that the main evidence of a vaccine’s efficacy is collected, as well as information on adverse reactions that could appear in certain groups of patients: people with weakened immunity, people with concomitant diseases and so forth,” it said.Some international experts have also questioned the speed at which Russia approved its vaccine.”Normally you need a large number of people to be tested before you approve a vaccine,” said Peter Kremsner from the University Hospital in Tuebingen, currently testing CureVac’s COVID-19 vaccine in clinical trials.”In that respect, I think it’s reckless to do that [approve it] if lots of people haven’t already been tested.”Duncan Matthews, a professor of intellectual property law at Queen Mary University of London, said news of a potential COVID-19 vaccine was to be welcomed, “but safety must be the priority”.”The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the European Medicines Agency (EMA) have fast-track approval procedures for emergency humanitarian use and we need to see evidence that Russia is adopting an equally prudent approach,” Matthews said in an emailed comment.More than 100 possible vaccines are being developed around the world to try to stop the COVID-19 pandemic. At least four are in final Phase III human trials, according to WHO data. Topics :center_img Regulatory approval paves the way for the mass inoculation of the Russian population and authorities hope it will allow the economy, which has been battered by fallout from the virus, to return to full capacity.Kirill Dmitriev, head of Russia’s sovereign wealth fund, hailed the development as a historic “Sputnik moment”, comparable to the Soviet Union’s 1957 launch of Sputnik 1, the world’s first satellite.The vaccine will be marketed under the name ‘Sputnik V’ on foreign markets, he said. State media have trumpeted the news.But the speed at which Russia has moved, approving a vaccine before the final stages of clinical trials to test safety and efficacy are over, has worried some scientists, who fear Moscow may be putting national prestige before safety.last_img read more

Read More →